Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GE & Budweiser Team Up for Super Bowl Ad: Is This the Future of Advertising?

I love to watch the Super Bowl for so many reasons…the gathering of friends; the day to excuse myself from a diet because it’s just not the game without pizza, wings, chips and beer; the fun rivalry and betting on different aspects of the game ranging from the coin toss to who is going to score first… but my absolute favorite part outside of all that are the commercials. This is where the advertising community comes to shine. The sheer joy of laughing out loud at a commercial, or having an advertisement bring a tear to my eye. The one show where even if I had to DVR it, I wouldn’t fast forward through the commercials.

To add to the excitement I had heard that my local GE Turbine plant was going to be featured in an advertisement. GE is a major factor in the rich history of Schenectady, NY so I was really looking forward to seeing it. So when “GE Turbine Manufacturing Schenectady, NY” pops up on my television screen I was immediately emotionally invested. I’m thinking this place is literally two minutes from my house, this is so cool.  I found myself reviewing each image change to see if I could recognize a person or background setting. I was becoming engaged with the audio as the employees interviewed tell me that “without the stuff that” they make there I wouldn’t be able to flip on my lights, and that turbines power the world, and that their jobs provide them with a sense of reward because they know they are making a difference globally. 

Wow I think, this is all amazing, I didn’t know that. Then another employee comes on and says “When people think about GE they typically don’t think about beer.” Wait…. What? You’ve got that brother, I have never associated beer and GE in my mind…ever!

I am then informed that the beer Budweiser makes is kept cold and the brewing process powered by turbines. Now flows the thoughts of that is freaking awesome and has a commercial ever dropped so much knowledge on me before? But that’s not what I say out loud. After all those thoughts careen through my head what I actually say out loud to my fellow Super Bowl partiers is, “Wow, that was genius of those two big names to partner for an advertising spot during the Super Bowl. They must’ve saved a ton of money by doing that.”


So is this the future of advertising for the Super Bowl?

USA Today states that “Some 54 commercials that cost upwards of $3.5 million per 30-second slot were in the NBC broadcast watched by more than 100 million viewers.” The GE/Budweiser ad is 46 seconds long so for the sake of this discussion let’s say that it cost $3.5 million and that the cost was split between the two brands. (Yes it’s possible that GE took on the whole cost and gave Budweiser a shout out, but let’s assume they split it.)  That would mean that they each just saved $1.75 million dollars in their advertising budget and now they can take that money and put it towards another commercial that features just them or another collaborative effort. It’s possible that this partnering technique has been done before, but personally I can’t remember any.

Granted this pairing makes a lot of sense because there is a cause and effect relationship in that it’s the turbines that help to create the beer and cool it, but does this mean that next year there will be more partnership type commercials? Yes Chevy and Pepsi didn’t help to create each other, but will there be a humorous spot of someone driving a Chevy truck ad spot that features Pepsi? Perhaps GoDaddy.com will add the green female M&M to their lineup of gorgeous women? It will be very interesting to see if this style of partnership advertising takes off.

2 comments:

  1. Love this commercial, too! And, I think the line "We make the power that makes the XYZ" has definite meme potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. Some points shared in this blog are very good… If you want to know about promotional marketing visit Experiential Marketing Firm.

    ReplyDelete