Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Forget the Future, Online News is the Here and Now


I can’t remember the last time I bought a physical newspaper. I rarely watch the news on TV. I now rely on the internet for my daily news fix and I consume more news than I ever did through traditional outlets. Whether it’s a newspaper website, an aggregator for hot news stories or a recommendation on Facebook or Twitter, the vast majority of the news I consume is online. Since I can access news wherever I happen to be with my smartphone I read more of it.

According to research from Pew Research Center I am not alone. More and more people are turning to the internet for their news. In fact the audience for online news has gone up 17.2% in the last year. Interestingly the audiences for network, local, audio and cable news have all grown as well. The big losers are magazines and newspapers. The newspaper industry has declined by a whopping 43% since the year 2000.

Around a quarter of the population now consume news on mobile devices. Smartphones and tablets are becoming more popular and the mobility factor is key. They aren’t actually replacing desktop computers or laptops, they are providing additional outlets. Many people are actually consuming more news now than they ever did before.

One widely reported finding was that, despite the increase in the popularity of social media, most people are not using it to find news. Only 10% of digital news consumers said they followed links from Facebook or Twitter “very often”. Despite the fact that 54% of U.S. citizens now have a Facebook account they are still accessing news directly through websites or apps.

As people move online for their news many outlets have to follow suit or risk extinction. Digital subscription models are expected to grow this year. Particularly with the growth of the tablet market, magazines have found a suitable alternative outlet and some publications are reporting success with digital subscriptions.

One year on, since launching a digital subscription model, the New York Times is reporting over 450,000 paying subscribers who shell out $15 to $35 per month for articles. They are so confident that they are reducing the number of free articles they offer readers from 20 per month to just 10.

It looks like online news is no longer the future, it’s the present. What do you think? Do you turn to the internet for news?

2 comments:

  1. Nice Post Simon! I must say the very first thing I do when I turn on my laptop each day is turn to Google News! While I do enjoy the Austin American-Statesman newspaper on Sunday only, you are right, my news is online, all the time (except Sundays) and this paper is purchased mostly for all the store ads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The Sunday paper was definitely my last physical newspaper to go, it was kind of a tradition, but the content online is such high quality and so accessible now I really don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete